Welcome to Lakewood Animal Hospital's website!
Welcome Dr. Andrew Olson, DVM!
Mr. Dr. Olson has joined the Lakewood team!
Please call for his schedule and availability! 540.972.2203
Lakewood Animal Hospital in Locust Grove, VA is a full service companion animal hospital. We serve Locust Grove as well as the surrounding Orange, Spotsylvania and Culpeper counties. We are located in the Food Lion shopping center directly across from the Lake of the Woods front entrance. At Lakewood Animal Hospital our mission is to enhance the human-animal bond by providing compassionate, state of the art medical, surgical and dental care to our patients. Our services and facilities are designed to assist in routine preventive care for young, healthy pets; early detection and treatment of disease as your pet ages; and medical and surgical care as necessary during his or her lifetime.
We understand the special role your pet plays in your family and are dedicated to becoming your partner in your pet's health care. We treat your pet as we would our own. Our goal is to practice the highest quality medicine and surgery with compassion and an emphasis on client education. Our entire healthcare team is committed to providing personal attention to the unique concerns of each individual pet owner.
Your pet’s health is always our #1 concern!
Since maintaining a healthy diet and healthy weight are keys to achieving wellness,
we are going to kick off spring with a Wellness Contest!
Who, What, Where, When of Participation
1) Every established patient (current on a wellness examination and rabies vaccination) of Lakewood Animal Hospital is welcome to participate.
2) To enter the contests, just call us to schedule a free Participation Exam – At this visit we will take a starting photo and get an accurate weight. We will also discuss your pet’s weight loss goals as well as diet and exercise recommendations.
3) We recommend (but don’t require) a free weight re-check every 2 weeks to make sure your pet is staying on track.
4) Schedule a free Follow-Up Participation Exam during the week of May 26-30th for a final picture and weight.
How to Win
1) All participants who lose weight are winners! Lean pets are healthier pets and will be at a lower risk for arthritis, respiratory disease and diabetes!
2) The winners will be chosen based on the percentage of weight loss and also subjectively due to the highly variable body sizes and shapes of our patients.
3) 1st Place – A free COHAT (comprehensive oral health assessment and treatment… a dental) for the winning pet at Lakewood. This is valued at $347 or $401 depending on the size of the winning pet and can be used for up to 1 year! We figure a healthy weight deserves a healthy mouth!
4) 2nd Place – A wellness gift bag complete with a 3-pack of Frontline Plus, some toys and other goodies (depending on the species)!
Tips on Weight Loss
1) REDUCE calories consumed! – This is BY FAR the #1 way to get your pet to a healthy weight. They can’t buy the treats or open the fridge so restricting their calories is up to you!
a. Reduce or eliminate treats
b. Reduce or eliminate table food
c. Eliminate free choice feeding which encourages overeating in almost all pets
d. Switch to a “weight loss” or “light” formula if the veterinarian thinks it is appropriate
e. Switch cats from dry food to wet food (go slow so they don’t go on strike)
2) INCREASE calories burned! – This will help with weight loss and will be fun for you and your pet!
a. Add an extra 15-20 minutes of walking to your dog’s daily routine
b. Consider signing your dog up for doggie daycare 1-2 times each week… you’ll love how tired they are at the end of the dayJ
c. Try food games for feedings… there are lots of toys on the market that you load with food so the animal has to figure out how to get the food out
d. Try splitting a cat’s feedings into smaller meals that can be “hidden”… for instance, maybe Fluffy is encouraged to walk up the stairs for her meal 3-4 times/day instead of getting it place in front of her on the kitchen floor
GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND YOUR PETS!
WE WELCOME DAYTIME EMERGENCY
& URGENT CARE PATIENTS!
Thank you for taking the time to read about our veterinary practice and the services we offer.
We welcome your comments and suggestions. Please contact us at (540)972-2203 for all your pet health care needs.